Healthy Kid Snacks, Put Down Those “Fruit” Gummies!
Providing children with healthy snacks is a small part of developing healthy eating habits that will grow with your child into adulthood. It is vital that we teach a healthy lifestyle to children by first setting a good example.
As adults it is our responsibility to provide healthy options for the children in our care. . A child cannot provide food for himself. We are solely responsible for what our children consume and how much. It is time to take action and we must start ourselves.
- Eliminate white sugar, white rice, potatoes
- Eat foods with minimal processing
- Eliminate sugary drinks and soda
- Monitor the nutritional content of school lunches and pack a lunch if necessary
- Get involved in the lunch program and advocate healthy foods at school
Children can’t control how much and how often they are served. This is especially true of very young children. Food should never be used as a reward, punishment or entertainment.
Food should never be used as a way to appease an upset child (unless of course they are hungry)
Comfort, hug, and talk to your child and help in resolve hurt feelings in a healthy way. If your child is inconsolable it may be necessary to leave him to calm down before attempting to resolve issues.
Making Healthy Kid Snacks
The process of making healthy kid snacks with children is a great opportunity to spend quality time together and discuss healthy options.
Healthy Snack Ideas
- Plain yogurt with fruit preserves stirred in
- Hummus and whole grain crackers
- Celery sticks with peanut butter
- Cottage cheese
- Trail mix with raw almonds or roasted nuts
- All natural peanut butter and toast
- Whole grain cereal
- Green peppers and hummus
Healthy Kid Snacks On The Go
- Trail mix
- Dry cereal
- All natural granola bars
- Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, and other handy fruit
Good nutrition creates a positive lifestyle. When we live an active lifestyle, make healthy choices in what we eat, and get sufficient rest, we have more energy, experience better health, and can maintain focus and concentration.
When we doing what is best for our body we can be our best at any age. Providing healthy kid snacks is a great way to get their health of to a good start.